Oklahoma Genealogical Society Updates
Our hope is you and your family are staying well in these difficult and challenging times. We appreciate you as members of the OGS family and are thankful for the donations, extended memberships and emails of encouragement as we struggle to keep OGS alive. The month of August is our 65th birthday and our plans for a big party have obviously been postponed. We will use that good old-fashioned genealogy tool of lying about our age so if we are 66 years old, we will celebrate our 65th next year.
The OGS board has been working hard to still provide you with fun and exciting things to do with our wonderful hobby. Below are some things we are working on.
August 3, 2020 OGS Monthly Meeting
Our meeting will be online only and will feature one of our all-time speakers and supporters. Dr. Bob Blackburn from the Oklahoma Historical Society will be presenting to OGS. As many of you know Dr. Blackburn is set to retire in January of next year. He wants to say his “so long” to OGS and we will also be making it where you will be able to see Dr. Bob. He is an icon and in his usual fashion has done so much for OGS behind the scenes.
Our Education Committee has been hard at work creating a set of classes on great topics. If you go online to the OGS web at http://www.okgensoc.org you will see the listing of classes through the balance of the year. Please go online and check out these classes. These are important to OGS because of keeping a small semblance of our pre-COVID revenue stream.
New OGS Products
We have two teams that are working on rolling out new products. The first team is working on our Sales Products to develop new data sources, competitive prices and up to date delivery system. We are also working to enhance the Members Only section of our Web.
Many of our members having pride in being an OGS member have asked me over the years about OGS shirts, bags and other products. Another exciting development is the addition to these products. Take pride in being an OGS member and look and purchase some really cool items. The OGS web site at http://www.okgensoc.org has a listing of these new and exciting products.
In closing, the OGS board is working hard everyday to sustain our operations while looking for new and innovative ways to serve our membership. OGS is a non-profit and our income is based primarily on memberships, classes, products, donations and the First Families of the Twin Territories and the Settlers and Builders program. OGS did not take any federal, state or local bailout funds so we are striving to keep our income up to pay our bills. For those of you that have already helped us out many thank yous.
Donations no matter how small will end up helping in the months ahead. Here are ways you can help:
1. One-time donation: Donations of any size are greatly appreciated. You can donate online at okgensoc.org. Just click on the donation button you see on our landing page or go to the left side of the page and you will find a donate button. You can also mail a check to OGS, PO Box 12986, Oklahoma City, OK, 73157. We are an all-volunteer organization so 100% of your donation goes toward OGS.
2. Membership: Consider renewing your membership, extending your membership to a lifetime membership, or get someone else to join. All membership plans are on our web site at okgensoc.org. Left side of page under Join OGS Online.
3. Amazon Smiles: For members who purchase things through Amazon, you can designate OGS as your charity of choice. Amazon will donate a % of the sale proceeds to OGS. This is of no cost to the consumer. You simply order from Amazon Smiles which is a mirror of your regular Amazon page. For more information OGS has a button on our main web page at okgensoc.org.
4. PayPal: You can use PayPal to donate to your favorite charity. You can also set up OGS as your charity of choice. PayPal will donate a % of the sales proceeds to OGS much like Amazon Smiles.
5. OGS Sales Products: OGS has added six new products which are available for sale. Please shop our store at okgensoc.org and purchase some of the new products.
6. First Family of the Twin Territories and the Settlers and Builders of Oklahoma: Apply for FFTT and/or S&B of Oklahoma and join these prestigious programs. For more information on these outstanding programs visit okgensoc.org under the Lineage Groups and Project tab on the left side of the page.
If you are not currently an OGS member please consider joining. To our existing members please know you are appreciated. If you have any questions or wish to provide feedback you can reach me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mike Birdsong, President OGS